Barnacle Wifi Tether lets you turn your Android phone into a wireless ad-hoc access point in three easy steps.
- Get root access on your phone.
- Install Barnacle Wifi Tether from Market (or here) and run it.
- Connect your PC (or iPad, or Xbox!) to the ad-hoc network (default SSID is barnacle).
Barnacle will act like a wireless router connecting its clients to the Internet via the phone's 3G (or 2G) mobile connection.
Barnacle Wifi Tether is compatible with Windows (XP/Vista/7), Mac, Linux, even iPod/iPhone/iPad and Xbox! If you are having more trouble connecting to some devices than others, it's recommended to use this association technique.
On many phones you need to enable Skip wpa_supplicant in Settings to actually create the ad-hoc network. In that case WEP will most likely not work.
In the News
- MakeTechEasier: Use your Android Phone as a Wireless Hotspot (Rooted Phones Only)
- Droid Life: How to: WiFi Tether a Motorola Droid to an iPad
- The Chrome Documents: Turn Android Phone Into A Router: There’s An App For That
- AndroidWorld Magazine (Italian): Barnacle Wifi Tether, condividere la connessione via WiFi
- Telephonino: Barnacle Wifi Tether, share the connection via WiFi
- Gadgets DNA: Barnacle WiFi Tether App for Rooted Android Phone
- thinkbeta.com: The world needs a Droid to iPad tethering app
- Android Police: Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting Your Android Phone
- metalbabble.com/technobabble: Top 15 Android Geek Apps (that are also FREE!)
- ifranznation: Gadget(s) der Woche: Novatel MiFi 2352 (und Alternativen)
- Eazy Cheezy: How to Root Your Android & 12 Must Have Android Apps
- Mobile Open Source: Tether your iPad, do not bother buying the 3G version
- How to make ur G1 in to a Wifi hotspot using a wifi tether and connect to ipod touch
- How to set up Wifi Tethering on your Samsung Vibrant
|Barnacle||android wifi tether||EasyTether||PDANet||Proxoid|
|Works with all applications||yes||yes||no||no||no|
|No PC software required||yes||yes||no||no||no|
|No custom kernel||yes||no||yes||yes||yes|
|No root required||no||no||yes||yes||yes|
For easy donation, there is also an inexpensive widget available.
If you prefer to donate directly, here's the PayPal button:
If you have a bug to report, I recommend you send it to barnacle@ this domain. Otherwise, leave a comment below.